The 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup is the 12th edition of the Cricket World Cup, to be hosted by England and Wales, from 30 May to 14 July 2019 The total prize money is $10 million. This article gives an overview of the Cricket world cup 2019, talks about Prize Money of the Cricket World Cup, INDIA at the Cricket World Cup 2019, ICC and Cost and Revenue from Cricket World Cup, What is the difference between England, Wales, United Kingdom?
Overview of the Cricket World Cup
- The 46-day tournament will be played across 11 venues from 30 May to July 16 in England and Wales.
- The 2019 World Cup format is similar to the nine-team edition played in 1992, where each team plays the others in the round-robin phase, with the top four advancing to the semi-finals.
- Ten Teams are:
- India | England | Pakistan | Australia | South Africa | Sri Lanka | New Zealand | West Indies | Bangladesh | Afghanistan.
- There are two start times – day games will begin at 3 pm IST(10.30am BST), and some games slightly later at 6:30 pm IST(1.30pm BST).
- The total prize money of $10 million will be the same as it was in the 2015 World Cup, which was contested among 14 teams with Australia defeating New Zealand to take the trophy and the winner’s cheque.
- The winner of the 2019 men’s World Cup will walk away with a monetary reward of US $4 million, with the runner up getting half the amount ($2 million)
- England or India are expected to win. England has never won cricket world cup!
- India Performance in the World Cup from 1975 is shown in the image below
Prize Money of the Cricket World Cup 2019
The total prize money of $10 million will be the same as it was in the 2015 World Cup, which was contested among 14 teams with Australia defeating New Zealand to take the trophy and the winner’s cheque.
The winner of the 2019 men’s World Cup will walk away with a monetary reward of US $4 million, with the runner up getting $2 million.
In the 2019 edition, the two losing semi-finalists will get $800,000 each, also an increase compared to the 2015 edition, where losing semi-finalists were awarded $600,000.
The winners of each league-stage match will receive $40,000 each, and teams whose campaigns end at the league stage will get $100,000 each.
In 1975 for the inaugural event, West Indies received £4,000 for winning, with runners-up Australia receiving £2,000. By today’s standards, it was worth around £23,500.
Comparison of the Prize Money of Cricket World Cup with other events is shown in the image below. Fifa Football Cup is a bigger event with 400 million USD as prize money.
Cost of the Cricket World Cup Ticket
- 80,000+ tickets at £20 (over half of the group stage matches)
- 200,000+ tickets at £50 or less
- Child tickets at every match, starting from £6
- Family of four for £52
The cheapest ticket to see either team will cost £40, but these will only be available for England’s matches against Bangladesh and Afghanistan or India’s match against Afghanistan.
England and India fans will pay a minimum of £55 to see their teams and £70 in the biggest games.
And most tickets cost far in excess of £100.
INDIA at the Cricket World Cup 2019
The Indian Squad consists of
Virat Kohli ©, Rohit Sharma (VC), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Vijay Shankar, MS Dhoni (wicket keeper), Kedar Jadhav, Dinesh Karthik, Y. Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohammed Shami.
Indian jersey over the years is shown in the image below
Matches of India at the Cricket World Cup 2019
India Plays on the following days :
- SA vs IND on June 05, 15:00 PM (IST)
- IND vs AUS on June 09, 15:00 PM (IST)
- IND vs NZ on June 13, 15:00 PM (IST)
- IND vs PAK on June 16, 15:00 PM (IST)
- IND vs AFG on June 22, 15:00 PM (IST)
- WI vs IND on June 27, 15:00 PM (IST)
- ENG vs IND on June 30, 15:00 PM (IST)
- BAN vs IND on July 02, 15:00 PM (IST)
- SL vs IND on July 06, 15:00 PM (IST)
The Following image shows the Various venues. Lord and Oval in London are the most coveted stadiums, every cricketer’s dream to play. Final will be in Lords on Jul 14.
ICC and Cost and Revenue from Cricket World Cup
The International Cricket Council (ICC) is the global governing body of cricket. The ICC has 105 members: 12 Full Members that play Test matches and 93 Associate Members. (Associate Members – The 93 governing bodies in countries where cricket is firmly established and organized, but have not been granted Full Membership yet.)
The ICC is responsible for the organisation and governance of cricket’s major international tournaments, most notably the Cricket World Cup. It also appoints the umpires and referees that officiate at all sanctioned Test matches, One Day International and Twenty20 Internationals.
Full Members – The twelve governing bodies of teams that have full voting rights within the International Cricket Council and play official Test matches.
|New Zealand||East Asia-Pacific||1926|
Cost and Revenue of Cricket World Cup 2015
The World Cup 2015 was the biggest sporting event in Australia since the Sydney Olympics and it helped Cricket Australia bank a net surplus of $99 million.
The World Cup included 20 sellouts and a record crowd of 93,013 for the March 29 final at the MCG.
It was also followed fanatically online, with more than 12.7 million fans logging on to Cricket Australia’s digital properties.
Cost and Revenue of holding Cricket World Cup in 2015 from ICC Annual statements are shown in the image below
Winners of the Cricket World Cup
- 1975 – West Indies beat Australia by 17 runs
- 1979 – West Indies beat England by 92 runs
- 1983 – India beat West Indies by 43 runs
- 1987 – Australia beat England by seven runs
- 1992 – Pakistan beat England by 22 runs
- 1996 – Sri Lanka beat Australia by seven wickets
- 1999 – Australia beat Pakistan by eight wickets
- 2003 – Australia beat India by 125 runs
- 2007 – Australia beat Sri Lanka by 53 runs (DL method)
- 2011 – India beat Sri Lanka by six wickets
- 2015 – Australia beat New Zealand by seven wickets
What is the difference between England, Wales, United Kingdom?
- United Kingdom: A union of 4 nations – England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. It also includes many islands like the Falkland Islands, British Indian Ocean Territory, etc.
- England is A nation within the UK
- Britain or Great Britain: A region consisting of England and Wales. The word great is used to distinguish “Little Britain” or Brittany in France.
The United Kingdom (U.K), as it is called, is a country of countries, a sovereign state that consists of four individual countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Within the U.K., Parliament is sovereign, but each country has the autonomy to some extent.
- England: It’s a nation within the UK with London as the capital and English as the primary language.
- Wales: It neighbours England with Cardiff as the capital. Majority of the population is Welsh, and language is also called as Welsh
- Scotland: Another country which is north of England, bordering it as well as a part of Ireland(Northern Ireland). The major ethnic group are the Scots. The cultures of England and Scotland differ vastly. The capital is Edinburgh and the main languages are Ulster Scots, Scottish and English.
- The Island of Ireland: Ireland is actually divided into 2 separate countries. One is Independent and the other a part of a Union.
- Northern Ireland: is a small region bordering Scotland. The capital is Belfast. The languages are Irish and English. It is a part of the UK
- Republic of Ireland: This is a separate country. It occupies most of the island of Ireland. The capital is Dublin and the major languages are Irish, Ulster and English The major ethnic group, is Irish.
- School or Sports Career: A Parent’s dilemma
- Cricket:BCCI , BCCI Finances and Lodha Committee
- Sports person income and endorsments : Virat Kohli
- Cricketer and Money
- Is IPL the Indian Premier League the Indian Paisa League?
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Understanding Football
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Prize Money, Income, Expenses, Infographic
So who will win the cricket world cup 2019? Will India win?